Friday, June 29, 2018

The Dreissen and the Virgin: A sad story of frosting


This is not a fairy tale nor a happy story. This is about a lesson in life and a little lesson about chemistry components reaction.

When coming to Mobile Suit type, what I love most are coming from the MS-09 Dom lineage (hence the name Domtropen, duh) and thus where the story start. After a long and joyful building, painting and decaling, finally I finished my beloved HGUC AMX-009 Dreissen (Unicorn Ver.). It's really late and the decals are not dried yet, so I left it to dry and go to sleep with a smile in the face. The next morning, with passion and determination, I applied flat topcoat to finish it. But alas, something happened.

The flat top coat on the kit forming some kind of foggy crystals, as if the kit been put on a freezer overnight. I have read about this before, it's called "frosting". This happens when water molecules from humidity in the air trapped behind the layer of top coat. Mind you, this is the first time it's happens to me.

off course this is not my Dreissen, just found it in internet to show what frosting looks like

Sad and broken hearted, I searched all over the internet a cure for my beloved Dreissen without destroying the decals and the paint job. I found some tips and tried it, but with no success.
Until I stumble into this trick I've found in a Warhammer forum: "Applied Virgin olive oil on the kit to remove frosting" so I tried it, I brushed olive oil on the Dreissen. And it works like magic...
The frosting subsiding, leaving only some minor frosting on the corners that I can live with. After a while, I used soft dish soap and lukewarm water to wash away the oil leftovers. The results are stunning. Not only the frosting disappeared, the paint, decals and top coat stays as if this whole disaster never happened! Now, The Mighty Dreissen can wait majestically for his photo session in the display cabinet.

But this is not the happily happy ever after end story...

About a month later, I took the Dreissen for a photo session. When I try to pose him, suddenly the left elbow join snapped. not just break like a twig, but literally crumbled into 3 pieces as if its a potato chips. Shock and angry, I checked all over the kit trying to figure out what happened. But disasters struck, both the holder of the front skirt lap also shattered, the joint of the right knee loosen and all ball joints in the hips and ankles too. The tip of the ball joint became crisp like a cheap plastic that have been left under the sun for ten years.

this also breaks my heart

After I searched in the internet I believe this is what happened:  Apparently there are drying and non-drying oil, and Olive oil is a non-drying oil. That's means it won't dries forever... and ever. Meanwhile, oil absorb PVC from plastic the longer they are in contact, making plastic weak and lose their durability in long term.
When I wash the olive oil with soap, I couldn't open all the Dreissen's joints apart since some of them already cemented and sprayed with paint. Apparently some oil manage to slip into that joints connection an stay there unwashed. Slowly but sure, they gnawing the plastic from inside.

the accused

Mighty Dreissen may never recover again. I had some thought to buy another Dreissen, but i feel guilty like abandoning a pet because its crippled and adopt a new pet. I try to repair it, but with my current skill, i couldn't do anything.

All in all, this is my fault for being rush and reckless, and i pay the price. 

I'm sorry Dreisseno, i'm so sorry... Maybe someday...

1 comment:

  1. You've got some great advice on this blog man. I'm glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete